Up to 52,000 people eligible for new 18-month Canadian work permit
Certain PGWP holders in Canada can apply for the new open work permit until July 27, 2021
The Canadian government has a new policy set up to help former foreign students who were affected by the COVID-19 pandemic while living in Canada. New open work permit for Canadian students.
Since January 27, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) have been accepting applications out of Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) holders who have seen their licenses expire or their permits are about to expire.
The objective of this policy would be to give PGWP holders more time to obtain the Canadian work experience they will need to then become qualified for a Canadian immigration plan. Federal and provincial authorities put great emphasis on retaining former international students as immigrants. The reason for this is government research indicates that former foreign students have a tendency to integrate quickly into the Canadian job market upon gaining permanent residence.
Considering that the downturn resulting from the COVID-19 crisis, PGWP holders may be struggling to obtain the job experience which they need for Canadian immigration. This new public policy will let them obtain open work permits that will be valid for up to 18 weeks.New open work permit for Canadian students
IRCC estimates around 52,000 PGWP holders might gain from this policy. Candidates have until July 27, 2021, to submit an application with this new work permit.
Eligibility criteria include :
- Possess a PGWP that expired on or after January 30, 2020, or some PGWP that will perish within 4 weeks of the date of your application.
- You were in Canada on January 27, 2021, when this coverage took effect and remain in the country.
- You’ve valid temporary status in Canada or have applied to reestablish your status, or will be applying to reestablish your status.
- You mention in your program you are applying for this new open work permit.
- You have a valid passport. IRCC encourages you to make sure that your passport is valid for 18 months from the date your application is approved. If your passport expires in under 18 months, the open work permit you obtain will be for the corresponding length of time as your passport’s validity interval.
The PGWP is a favorite among former international students since research indicates the majority of them need to apply for Canadian immigration. Those who graduate from a Designated Learning Institution (DLIs) may apply to acquire a PGWP for a maximum period of three years.
The post-graduate work experience that they gain in Canada is highly enviable under many of Canada’s over 100 distinct proficient worker pathways.
Broadly speaking, one can simply get the PGWP once in their lifetime. This has meant that people impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic may not currently be in a position to remain in Canada as immigrants due to the poorer labor market since they may have been laid away, fought to secure work, or have witnessed their work hours cut.
Canada is planning to welcome over 400,000 new immigrants per year under its Immigration Amounts Plan 2021-2023. Allowing foreign pupils to pursue Canadian work experience throughout the pandemic will supply Canada with a larger pool of international talent to pick from as it attempts to achieve its high immigration targets in support of its post-COVID economic recovery.
ο Reference taken from CIC News
- Provincial Nominee Program – Step by Step guide￼
- Express Entry Draw #236 – 4,750 ITAs are issued
- Everything about NOC 2021: Changes and Effect
- Express Entry #234: Lowest CRS since 2020
- Express Entry Draw #233: Canada invited 4,250 Candidates
- Express Entry Draw #232: 3,750 ITAs are issued
- Express Entry Draw #231
- Express Entry Draw #230: ITAs are increased to 2,750.
- Express Entry Draw #229: Forth all-program draw since July
- Express Entry Draw #228: 2,000 ITAs are issued
- Express Entry Draw #227: 1,750 ITAs are issued
- Express Entry #226: All Program Draw resume
- Express Entry Draw #225
- Express Entry Draw #224, invited 932 PNP candidates
- Express Entry Draw #223
- Express Entry Draw #222 | Latest Express entry Draw
- Express Entry Draw #221 – 27 April 2022
- FSWP and CEC invitations will resume in July – IRCC