What Is An Australia Study Visa?
An Australian Study Visa is a short-term visa (Temporary Visa), that allows you to stay in Australia while you pursue your education. Guidelines for the Australian Student Visa have altered as of July 1, 2016, and a Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF) has been started. These changes were announced in the notice.
All foreign students intending to study in Australia must now apply for a visa under Subclass 500, which essentially merges the former subclasses 571 through 576 into one, according to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
Upcoming Intakes In Australia
Every year Australian Universities have two intakes:
- Intake 1: Extends from February/early March to late May/early June
- Intake 2: Extends from July/early August through to November
Most Indian students often view their initial intake as their primary intake. The best course of action is to get ready for the approaching intake.
Top 10 Universities In Australia In 2023
According to the QS World University Rankings 2023, Australia ranks as per the following among the Top 500 universities in the world.
The Australian National University (ANU)
The University of Melbourne
The University of Sydney
The University of New South Wales (UNSW Sydney)
The University of Queensland
The University of Western Australia
The University of Adelaide
University of Technology Sydney
University of Wollongong
The requirement of an Australian Study Visa 2023
Document Requirements For Australia Study Visa
- The Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment as proof of admission into a college or university
- A valid passport
- Your visa application fee
- Your GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) statement
- Academic and work experience documents
- Evidence of financial ability to meet expenses like tuition fees, living expenses, living costs for dependents, and return airfare
- Details of OSHC health insurance policy
- Statement of purpose
- Passport-size photographs
- additional documents like parental consent if you are under 18 years of age.
Cost/Fee Requirements for an Australia Study Visa
Australian visa costs must be paid by international students according to the category they come under.
Base Application Charge
Additional Applicant Charges if 18 Years or Above
Additional Applicant Charges if Less Than 18 Years
The Subsequent Temporary Applicant Charge
(Subclass 500) (Subsequent Entrant)
(Subclass 500) Foreign Affairs or Defense Sector
Postgraduate Research Sector
Average Tuition Fees & Course Costs for Indian Students
According to the official government website, these are the average annual tuition costs for students from outside the country.
- International Undergraduate Students – AUD 15,000 to AUD 33,000
- International Postgraduate Students (Masters Degree) – AUD 20,000 to AUD 37,000
- Doctoral Degree – AUD 14,000 to AUD 37,000
High-value programs like medical degrees and veterinary science are not included in these statistics. They’re considerably more expensive.
Application Process Of Australian Study Visa With 3 Easy Steps
Step-1: Full-fill the requirements
Australia Study Requirements: Enrolled in a full-time course (undergraduate, master’s, or Ph.D.) to apply for a student visa.
Language Requirements: Taking a language proficiency test. The following test scores are acceptable:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 5.5-6
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 46
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 42
- Certificate of Advanced English (CAE): 162
- Occupational English Test (OET): A ‘b’ for each test component
Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) statement: This will indicate that your main goal is to study there and that you intend to come back.
Health insurance: The authorities must be aware that, should something happen to your health while you are in Australia, you will be able to cover your own medical expenses. To demonstrate this, you often need to obtain an Overseas Student Health Cover.
Character requirements: If you have a criminal or terrorist past, you are not eligible to apply for a study visa. You must be completely innocent.
- For this step, you must obtain your enrollment certificate. To obtain this certificate, you could be required to pay a percentage of your tuition costs.
- In order for authorities to be certain that your health and associated costs will be covered, you can also be requested to buy an Overseas Student Health Cover.
- Create a profile
- Fill visa application
- You must pay the visa fees after submitting your application and supporting papers successfully
- You will then be given a Transaction Reference Number that you may use to track the progress of your application.
Processing Time For Australian Student Visa 2023
International students must pay visa costs according to their category. The average processing period for an Australian student visa is one month, but it might take up to three.
Foreign Affairs or Defense Sector
Postgraduate Research Sector
Independent ELICOS Sector
Vocational Education and Training Sector
Higher Education Sector
International students must pay visa costs according to their category. Australia often processes student visas within a minute. Since the SSVF procedure has been simplified, the typical turnaround time is 4 to 6 weeks. This also depends on the educational institution, and if the immigration officer so requests, any pending paperwork may always be obtained.
The Australian higher education provider will issue the necessary Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (ECOE) for the Student Visa Program (SVP) process. The Department of Home Affairs is then notified of the application. It is advised that you submit your application for a student visa at least 12 weeks before the start of your institution’s orientation.
If You want to know about PR visas Consider this Piece of Article: Australia PR Visa
Do I need a visa to study in Australia?
Yes, you will need a student visa (Specifically a subclass 500 visa) to study in Australia.
Can I settle in Australia after study?
Yes, you can settle in Australia post-study on a student visa. The Australian government allows international students to live and settle in the country.
Is Australia costly for Indian students?
As compared to the USA or UK, the cost of living and tuition fees are lower in Australia. Living standards are also high in Australia.
How much funds are required for an Australian student visa?
As per the norms, the application fee is 620 AUD for a subclass 500 visa and the required funds for a single student are 62,222 AUD.
How much time Australian student visa take?
Generally, Australian student visas are processed within a month. However, the maximum time it takes is 3 months.
Why Australia is the best for study?
There are numerous benefits which show that Australia is best for study.
- Six of the top 100 universities in the world are located in Australia
- boasts more than 40 institutions with a variety of academic programs
- Some academic institutions also provide paid internship opportunities
- Australian universities have produced more than 15 Nobel laureates
- With a varied population, Australia is home to more than 200 languages and dialects
- The nation takes pride in its creative research facilities and cutting-edge infrastructure
- Australia is renowned for having a wide variety of animals and stunning scenery
- Australia is home to seven of the world’s friendliest cities for students.